ADA Bathroom Design and Installation Services in Flower Mound, TX
Your home’s bathrooms can be both beautiful and functional for those with and without disabilities. At Modern Blu, our ADA compliance experts can help design and install a bathroom that works for every member of your family.
ADA Compliant Requirements
The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) was passed in 1990. The law protects people with disabilities against discrimination in employment, transportation, communications, and public accommodations.
One aspect of the law addressed public restrooms, requiring these facilities to meet certain standards to ensure proper convenience and access to those with disabilities.
Vanities, tubs, toilets, and more have their own guidelines to improve their usability. These requirements for public restrooms consider the specific needs of an individual using a wheelchair or other mobility device.
Elements in an ADA-compliant public restroom generally includes the following:
- Doors should be at least 32 inches wide and open to 90 degrees
- There should be at least 60 inches of clear space for a wheelchair to turn
- Doors do not swing into the minimum turnaround area
- The centerline of the toilet should be 16 to 18 inches from the sidewall
- Toilet height should be between 17 and 19 inches
- Sinks should be no higher than 34 inches from the floor
- Sinks should have a clearance of 27 inches high for the knees
- Sinks should be 30 inches wide and 11 to 25 inches deep
- Grabs bars should be between 33 and 36 inches high
- Bathtubs should be a maximum of 30 inches wide
- Bathtubs should have a removable seat
The ADA has helped millions of Americans better access governmental buildings, maneuver down sidewalks, and use public restroom facilities. The same guidelines for public restrooms can be applied to home bathrooms.
Designed for Your Personal Needs
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, more than 60 million adults in the U.S. live with a disability. Those who are part of that statistic want to do as much for themselves as possible. Our staff at Modern Blu is dedicated to helping your family be as self-sufficient as possible.
The universal public restroom measurements are a starting point for a personal bathroom. Our specialists can create custom solutions for the specific people using your bathroom. Heights, widths, and depths may be different for bathrooms serving children, short people, or extremely tall people. We will adjust the height of the toilets, sinks, grab bars, and other fixtures to best work for the people who will utilize that bathroom.
Other improvements can include a curb-less (also called zero-threshold) shower stall to help those unable to navigate a tub or curb at the shower entrance. Hand showers using removable heads with a long hose are helpful. Installing a built-in seat and grab bars can give people a choice of sitting or standing.
Diverse Users for ADA Bathrooms
There are many different people who will find an ADA-compliant bathroom easier to use. These bathrooms will also keep them safer and provide a greater sense of independence.
Those who benefit from ADA bathrooms include the following:
- People with stability issues
- People who are large or heavy
- People recovering from surgery or having other temporary health problems
- Individuals who need assistance with their restroom activities
- Users of mobility equipment such as wheelchairs, scooters, walkers, and crutches
Bathroom remodeling is just the beginning of our services. We also can remodel your kitchen as well as redesign other areas of your home.
Beautiful and Functional Bathrooms
No one wants their home bathroom to look like a public facility. Our Modern Blu design experts will suggest the best materials for your needs. Ceramic tile, natural stone, hardwoods, and vinyl are all potential flooring and shower stall materials. Durable and non-slip are the guiding principles. Tile can be used but should not be glossy. Also, smaller tiles will dictate more grout lines and improve someone’s ability to grip the shower floor with their feet.
Learn more about how we can make your bathrooms function better for every member of your household. We offer unbeatable customer service for small projects and whole-house remodels. Contact us using our online form.